[Geysers] Avoca Spring

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Mon Jun 2 19:40:28 PDT 2008

In a message dated 6/2/2008 5:51:33 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
riozafiro at comcast.net writes:

Avoca  means "It leads" in Spanish (from the verb avocar, to lead), and
whether or not that is the reason for the spring's name, it  certainly
has taken the lead over from the Silver Globes, and  although there is
water in that system, I didn't see anything erupt  in about 30 minutes
of observation.

I'll have to go up to take a look at Avoca, because this activity is  totally
different from what I saw in April-early May when Silver Globe was high  and
Avoca was a quiet steam vent.

As for the name -- who knows? Years ago, in the course of a guided Biscuit
Basin walk ("Silver Globes, Sapphires, and Other Gems"), I had a visitor tell
me  about Avoca Spring in Ireland. Not far from Dublin, it was said to be the
meeting camping and parley place, the one place in Ireland where competing
kings  (dukes, chiefs, whatever) could meet in peace.

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.