[Geysers] Avoca Spring

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 3 18:01:33 PDT 2008

________________________________
> From: TSBryan at aol.com
> Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 22:40:28 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Geysers] Avoca Spring
> To: geysers at lists.wallawalla.edu
>
> In a message dated 6/2/2008 5:51:33 PM Mountain Daylight Time, riozafiro at comcast.net writes:
> Avoca means "It leads" in Spanish (from the verb avocar, to lead), and
> whether or not that is the reason for the spring's name, it certainly
> has taken the lead over from the Silver Globes, and although there is
> water in that system, I didn't see anything erupt in about 30 minutes
> of observation.
> I'll have to go up to take a look at Avoca, because this activity is totally different from what I saw in April-early May when Silver Globe was high and Avoca was a quiet steam vent.
>
> As for the name -- who knows? Years ago, in the course of a guided Biscuit Basin walk ("Silver Globes, Sapphires, and Other Gems"), I had a visitor tell me about Avoca Spring in Ireland. Not far from Dublin, it was said to be the meeting camping and parley place, the one place in Ireland where competing kings (dukes, chiefs, whatever) could meet in peace.
>
> Scott Bryan

Per Lee Whittlesey in Wonderland Nomenclature:

The name Avoca was given by Weed sometime 1884-87 for the mustard-like color of the spring's deposits.

with this footnote for citation
NA, RG 57, Field Notebooks, Walter Weed notebook, Box 56, Vol. II, 1883, #3899-B, p. 49.  The name Avoca is written into this notebook in different ink, apparently added later.  See also Box 48, 1888, #3864-B, p. c; and Box 52, vol. XVII, 1885, #3893-N, p. 63.

Lynn Stephens