[Geysers] Disturbances

s at weststartv.com s at weststartv.com
Thu Feb 21 02:29:58 PST 2008

Excellent questions Jeff... and not so quick answers for
them.  I'll try and give some insight though.

1)  "Disturbance" can effect the entire area or very small
areas of the Basin.  It may only effect Porcelain or Back
Basin.  It may only effect a small area of Back Basin.  I
have seen "disturbance" activity in the southwest corner
of Back Basin that didn't effect other parts of the Basin
at all.
There have been "Basin Wide Disturbances" that have
effected almost all of the thermal features in the Norris
Geyser Basin all at once.  As far as starting in a single
area EVERY time, I have never seen that.

2)  Again, "disturbance" activity may effect a few
features in a localized area or be "basin wide".  I have
also seen "disturbance" like activity that seemed to
effect a few features in a specific area. ( e.g. in
November of 1993, there was "disturbance" activity that
effected features from Medusa Geyser north to "Bastille
Geyser" but did NOT seem to effect Yellow Funnel.  But the
features in the "Muddy Sneaker Area" across the trail from
Yellow Funnel had definite changes. )

3)  The characteristics of the different features can
change dramatically.  I have seen features with pH that
was very acidic ( 2 - 4 ) change to very alkaline ( 7-8 )
and the other way around.  What feature is going to make
which change is nothing that I would try and predict!

4)  There have been "basin wide" disturbances that had no
effect on Echinus.  Steamboat usually gets "zapped" if the
"disturbance" activity is in the western, northwestern
parts of the Basin.  As far as other "large" features
around Norris, each "disturbance" has a different amount
of effect on the features.  The "disturbance" activity
that was seen throughout 1993 through 1998 had so many
different effects on the features, it would be hard to
classify them.

    There was some truly amazing effects on most of the
thermal features during one onset of "disturbance"
activity in August, 1995.  The area from Porkchop Geyser
all the way to Collapsed Cave became VERY active and hot.
 Ground temperatures in the area went to 105C at a depth
of 5cm.  Surface temps reach 100C at numerous locations.
 "Bastille Geyser" turned into a very high pressure steam
vent that could be heard from the museum.  Double Bulger
set a record for elevated Chloride content ( Fournier,
Weltman, et.al. 1995 )
So, to make it short... "Disturbance" is a rather strange
occurrence that isn't predictable or that can be tracked
easily.  I know that Mike Keller, Rocco Paperiello and
others have also seen some really bizarre happenings at
Norris during "disturbance" activity.
I hope this helped and didn't confuse more!

    Take Care,

        Smokey