[Geysers] Disturbances

Jeff Cross Jeff.Cross at wallawalla.edu
Tue Feb 19 19:14:56 PST 2008

I have a few questions about the Norris disturbances.  Since I have not been able to witness their progress, I am wondering:

1)      Does the disturbance start in a single geographical area and then progress outward?

2)      If so, are some thermal vents skipped initially, only to respond substantially after all of the neighboring vents have been affected?

3)      Do acid springs change to alkaline?  Or do alkaline springs change to acid?  Or some of both?

4)      Are the big geysers (Steamboat, Echinus, Ledge, etc) always the first ones affected?  Are they always affected negatively?   Steamboat gets zapped, and I remember a 3-day sit at Ledge in 1994 ending when we saw signs of a disturbance, which apparently rendered Ledge inactive for a while.  What do the other big geysers do?

Jeff Cross
Jeff.cross at wallawalla.edu