[Geysers] research question: immediately after the 1959 earthquake

Ruth & Leslie Quinn ruthleslie.ynp at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 22:28:59 PST 2008

Ms. Justus,
  Other sources include:

Fischer, William A., Earthquake! Yellowstone's Living Geology (Yellowstone Library & Museum Association, 1960, reprinted 1971, 61 pages plus a map in a back pocket). This came out the year after the earthquake, but has a lot of good information about immediate aftereffects. As one might expect, a little of the information might be considered dated now, but overall it's a good reference.

Keefer, William A., The Geologic Story of Yellowstone National Park (U. S. Geological Survey Bulletin #1347, 1971, 92 pages). Dr. Keefer included three pages (87-89) on earthquakes in the area and the Hebgen Lake Earthquake in particular in his large overview of the geology of the area.

Parsons, Willard H., Middle Rockies and Yellowstone (K/H Geology Field Guide Series, Kendall Hunt Publishing Company, Dubuque, IA, 1978, 233 pages). This not-easy-to-find volume contains a couple of very informative pages (162-164) about the earthquake.

Smith, Robert B., and Lee J. Siegel, Windows into the Earth: The Geologic Story of Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks (Oxford University Press, New York, 2000, 242 pages). This is the most recent and best general book about Yellowstone's geology, and will provide you with a lot of great information about the Hebgen Lake Quake (and about Yellowstone's geology in general). You might want to do a search and start here really.

That's all right off the top of my head that are good reading but not technical geologic papers -- I'm sure others here will provide references to many of those. Good reading!
Leslie J. Quinn