[Geysers] research question: immediately after the 1959 earthquake (Frangos)

V ynp4me at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 17 23:28:42 PST 2008

Hello!
Ah, one of my favorite Yellowstone area topics!
My daughter's name is... Madison! : )
Here is a short list of what I can think of!
I have the original newspaper from Cody Wyoming
somewhere.  (my mom lived there during the quake).
~ Vicky

I believe the Marler piece is this one-

Marler, G.D., Effects of the Hebgen Lake earthquake of
August 17, 1959, on the hot springs of the Firehole Geyser
basins, Yellowstone National Park,
U. S. Geological Survey Professional Paper,
Report: P 0435, 185-197, 1964.
Earthquakes have been known to change the behavior of hot
springs significantly. For instance, an observer stationed at
Yellowstone Park during the Hebgen Lake earthquake of
August 17, 1959, once compared the force of that earthquake
to a "giant hand which suddenly applied enormous pressure
to the rocks beneath the hot springs, forcing water from
their conduits in a manner comparable to the squeezing
of a sponge.. . .Its jarring served as a trigger to start
discharge from hundreds of springs. Had this happened
in the daytime, the spectator would have witnessed geyser
activity on a scale never even closely approximated since
Yellowstone's discovery."

another Marler one...

G. D. Marler and D. E. White,
“Seismic Geyser and Its Bearing on the Origin ......
“Seismicity and Contemporary Tectonics of the Hebgen. Lake-Yellowstone
www.osti.gov/geothermal/servlets/ purl/5986178-LoaXLN/5986178.pdf

The following may have something...

Seismotectonics and stress field of the Yellowstone volcanic
plateau from earthquake first-motions and other indicators
Gregory P. Waite
Journal of Geophysical Research 109(b2):B02301 (2004)
http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2004/2003JB002675.shtml

LOSING STEAM: A MULTI-SCALE HISTORIC ANALYSIS OF
HUMAN IMPACTS ON GEYSER BASINS by ALETHEA STEINGISSER
A THESIS Presented to the Department of Geography and the
Graduate School of the University of Oregon in partial fulfillment
of the requirements for the degree of Master of Science June 2006

clipped >>
In particular, he notes the futility of building roads atop active
springs, a fact made evident by the 1959 Hebgen Lake earthquake
(Figure 33).
Figure 33. Steaming Pavement after 1959 Hebgen Lake Earthquake,
Fountain Paint Pots Area, Yellowstone National Park (NPS photo
by Boucher, 1959).
http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:b_lDZpFo6yIJ:www.naturesmoods.net/steingisser_thesis.pdf+Marler,+G.D.,+1964,+Effects+of+the+Hebgen+Lake+Earthquake+o&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us&client=safari
or PDF link www.naturesmoods.net/steingisser_thesis.pdf

Smaller BOOKLETS to check out- (see Abebooks.com for most
of these)

Madison River Canyon Earthquake Area
Illustrated by Photos
Missoula: Gallatin National Forest, 1960, Missoula, 1960.

Madison River Canyon Earthquake Area
U.S. Department of Agriculture
U.S. Department of Agriculture, Missoula, MT, U.S.A., 1960.

The Night the Earth Shook:
A Guide to the Madison River Canyon Earthquake Area
Witkind, Irving J. (U.S. Department of Agriculture; Forest Service)
U.S. Government Printing Office. (Washington, DC). (1962).

THE GREAT..........MONTANA EARTHQUAKE
Hebgen lake and Madison Canyon by L. W. Link
Copyright 1964 ; 120 pages

The Hebgen Lake, Montana Earthquake of August 17,1959:
by THOMAS B. Director NOLAN

The Night The Mountain Fell: The Story Of The Montana-
Yellowstone Earthquake
by Edmund Christopherson and Elwood Averill

Stories of being there...

Out of the Night: A Story of Tragedy and Hope from a Survivor of
the 1959 Montana-Yellowstone Earthquake
(ISBN: 1879628163)
Irene Bennett Dunn

Montana Earthquake at Hebgen Lake I Was There My Personal Story
Ball, Verla