[Geysers] Geyser Basin Maps

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sun Dec 14 09:30:04 PST 2008

Udo -- see last paragraph please.

OK, I'll be a real curmudgeon. My honest opinion is, that unless a lot  (read
A LOT) of reworking of these new maps is done, then  they should not be used.
Considering here only the UGB South map, some examples  (only a few of the
possibilities) of the errors:

-- Where is Sawmill Geyser? The name is closer to a mystery red dot than it
is to the red dot that presumably represents Sawmill. And I call that a
"mystery  red dot" because I'll contend that there is no spring (at least not one of
any  significance) at that location.
-- And in that area, what happened to Scalloped? South Scalloped? the Terra
Cotta complex?

-- The trail(s) as shown are quite inaccurate. Like the jogs next to
Sulphide and North Goggles (which is, by the way, North GoggleS). Gee, I wonder
where Little Squirt is; right next to Beehive, apparently.

-- At Belgian Pool, the trail appears to go across a spring or two, where
interestingly there are four seemingly-unidentified dots.

Little hardly-ever-noticed Lavender Pool (which is actually Lavender  Spring,
not Pool) is identified, fer cryin' out loud, but Beauty pool is not
identified.

-- Indeed, there isn't even a red dot anywhere between Vent Geyser and
unidentified Beauty Pool.

I quit at that. The maps need a whole lot of work.

Now, how's this for curmudgeonly -- the USGS produced a whole series of
accurate (surveyed) thermal maps. Once upon a time there were two or three
complete sets in the OFVC prep room. I have a personal set given to me by Dr. D.  E.
White. GOSA makes copies of my set available (well, I think GOSA does so -- I
 see that they are not listed in the Store's insert in the December 2008 Sput
--  Udo comment?). They are accurate (frankly, I believe in at least some
cases more  accurate that the more recent GPS efforts) and could be updated with
great ease.  AND THEY ARE ALREADY AVAILABLE!!! [Oh, yeah -- people in the
"Spatial Analysis  Center" need work. (Sorry) ]