[Geysers] 1959 Earthquake

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 5 06:07:16 PDT 2008

From: Beckykr at aol.comDate: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 17:18:47 -0400To: geysers at lists.wallawalla.eduSubject: [Geysers] 1959 Earthquake

Hi Everyone,

Is there a list of thermal area changes that occurred in response to the 1959 earthquake?  I am interested in short term and long term changes to geysers, etc.  If anyone knows of a list of the things that occurred post-Earthquake in a book or online, I would appreciate it.  If no such list exists, would going through "The Geysers of Yellowstone" be the best way to compile such a list?

Thanks,

Becky Kraegel
Woodstock, GA

I have been doing extensive research in writing a series of articles about "Reporting the Effects of the 1959 Earthquake."  I know of no "book" or on-line source that contains a list of short and long term changes to geysers, etc.  There are, however, three sources that contain lists of short-term changes--

Marler's 1960 paper that appeared in the Billings Geological Society 11th Bulletin
Marler's 1964 paper that appeared in the USGS Professional Paper
Barry Watson's thesis on effects of the earthquake on features, primarily in the Upper and Lower Geyser Basins (Watson was a YNP naturalist during the summer of 1959 and used the results of his observations for his thesis).

Long-term effects--Marler's Inventory--When I extracted portions of the Inventory that dealt with effects of the 1959 earthquake, it came to about 50 pages of text (this would include both short and long-term effects).  The list of features impacted by the earthquake extracted from Marler would be more comprehensive than going through Bryan's Geysers of Yellowstone because Marler included temperature changes, etc.

Effects of the 1959 earthquake on the thermal features will be the subject of the 6th in the series of articles I am writing about the 1959 earthquake and its effect on Yellowstone.
Lynn Stephens