[Geysers] Geyser Report (Stephens)

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 14 05:22:40 PDT 2007

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS LISTSERV AND MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE, INCLUDING PUBLICATION IN THE SPUT.

I will supplement Barbara's report for 9/13/07 slightly (I was in a meeting late morning to early afternoon and spent the rest of the afternoon/evening in the Lower basin.)

Great Fountain was at 08:09 (first burst ~ 140 feet) and 20:16 (first burst ~ 150 feet).  Both eruptions started with an impressive first burst with huge wave, but neither was what I would call a super-burst.  The morning's eruption was white on white; the evening's eruption occurred as the last pink was fading from the sky.

The UNNG in Tangled Creek is slowing dow--I timed 14 consecutive intervals yesterday afternoon.  Most were approximately five minutes.

After the 1035ie Fountain, Fountain was again ie at 1706.

A double interval on Till from major to major was 21h46m.

Atomizer major was 0835ie, in the waning minutes of the mixed water/steam phase.

There was a bull elk near Firehole Pool yesterday evening attracting a lot of attention with its bugling.  (The other day a bull elk was killed near Madison Campground in a fight with another bull.)

Visitor comment of the day:  When I went to Great Fountain at the beginning of the window last night, updated the board to indicate it would be at least another 1 1/2 hours before it erupted, and made my announcement "This is a lovely place to sit and watch the sunset, but just to let you know the geyser isn't in overflow, and won't erupt for at least another 90 minutes," most of the people responded by leaving.  One couple stayed.  A few minutes later, she commented to me that the people just didn't have any faith.  I replied, "It's not a matter of faith.  Unless this geyser does something really unusual, it won't erupt for at least another 90 minutes because it's not in overflow.  It's a matter of physics, not a matter of faith!"

On a different matter--I tried to access the listserv archives through the link to the listserv on the GOSA website.  The link/instructions for subscribing to the listserv on the website didn't work.  Perhaps they need to be rewritten since the change in the address for Walla Walla College?

Lynn Stephens