[Geysers] GIANT - 10/26 @ 1325

Bill Warnock billwarnock at wyellowstone.com
Tue Oct 16 16:08:55 PDT 2007

Giant erupted at 1325 today, Tuesday, Oct. 26.  Grotto had gone into marathon yesterday at 1203 and was off this morning when first visit was made around 0800.  Andrew Bunning estimates it ended around 0600.

When I arrived at the cage around 1100, Emerald was bubbling, water was occasionally splashing right to left in back Mastiff, Catfish was spurting now and then, and later Bijou was putting out some weak spurts.  Giant also had some visible boiling.

Oblong went at 1208, Daisy at 1237, Grand at 1302 (1b), and at 1312, water was rising in Mastiff.  The Giant hot period began at 1313.  Mastiff began to overflow massively, and boils gradually increased from 1-2 feet to 6-8.  At 1322 Mastiff started surging higher than Giant's cone, became wider and broader, and then soared well above 40-50 feet, with some spikes even higher.  Giant was visibly wrestling in its cone, spilling water over the front edge.  Swells became higher and higher and at 1325 and 3 secs., according to Andrew's watch, GIANT EXPLODED SKYWARD...over 200 feet we think, but not as high as some others we've seen.  (Turtle went early in the eruption 6-8 feet.)  Duration was 93 minutes.  I'll download my pics tonite and forward one or two if worthwhile.

It had been cloudy and quite cool, but then the sun came out early in the eruption, and we were treated to a light rainbow.  Only other gazers there were Andrew B. and Tom from W.Yell.  Saw Riverside 1501 n.s.; after passing by Grand, saw Beehive Indicator at 1511 i.e. followed by Beehive at 1513.  (It went at 1515 yesterday!)

All in all a nice day, esp after the Rockies' win last night.  It started raining in the Madison Canyon, and more is expected tonight.

GO ROCKIES!

Bill