[Geysers] Geyser report May 30

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed May 30 16:12:44 PDT 2007

Into the UGB quite early, only to learn that Grotto appeared to be starting
a marathon, and indeed it was so. The eruption started about 0300 and was
still  going near 1330. So I, as well as some others, spent a lot of time in the
Lower  Basin. For the UGB, I did overhear that Lion had a series of at least 5
eruptions. Plume was running right about 50 minutes. Depression was at 0751.
Grand was "just after" 0300 and then at 1058 (1 burst). Artemisia was called
at  1249. Castle had a minor at 0710. Barbara caught Uncertain at 0849.

Great Fountain pulled a short interval at some point. Since the road opened
last Saturday, all eruptions had been between 1230 and 1400, but today's at at
 1100 exactly (OV=77, P=7).

I saw Logbridge two times but don't have an interval. I saw A-0 one  time.

Gemini continues having active cycles. We don't yet have a good handle on
all the timings, but it appears to be something like so: an active cycle begins
with a protracted period of "minor eruptions" in which only the right-had
(cone)  vent erupts, and it only with splashes about 1 foot high; the left-hand
vent  only pulsates and bubbles slightly and there is little or no overflow. I
don't  know how long this continues. Eventually this results in a full
eruption  involving both vents. These eruptions have durations of about 1 minute only
and  I don't think they get more than 6 feet high, but they are steady
jetting from  both vents. This activity continues for perhaps 2 hours, with
eruptions every 9  to 12 minutes (with an occasional 18-20 minute interval thrown in
for fun). The  active phase is then followed by a quiet period that today, at
least, lasted  about 4 hours before the minors started again... Today as an
example, at 0650  Gemini was having the early minors. Later, full eruptions were
seen at 0936,  0946 and 0955. Via steam seen from Great Fountain, eruptions
were still  happening at 1043 and 1054. Then I saw no more and at about 1125 it
was inactive  with a drying runoff channel. At 1420 it was again having the
right vent  minors.

White Dome erupted at 1023, 1044, and 1128, and later I caught it at  1437.

KC reported that Pink Cone ended at about 0856 (was 0834ie), and putting
together 2+2, it looks like intervals might be running as short as 19  hours.

KC and Julie also had Narcissus at 0946 (d = 6 1/2 min) and at 1422.

Fountain was 0834ns.