[Geysers] Giant duration measurements

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Sun May 20 18:26:39 PDT 2007

> It should be noted that there have been several different ways of measuring > Giant durations.> > The most objective method (I think) is the time from the first continuous > water to the last splash thrown out of the vent.> > Are some of the anomalously short eruptions (D << 90 minutes) due to different > ways of defining the eruption's end?
I acknowledged the above problem in my earlier post.  I do believe that there is some variance amongst observers in exactly when the eruption is said to be "over."  I can remember various discussions about this last year as eruptions waned.  Based on these experiences, I would be surprised if the difference was greater than 2-3 minutes.

Over longer stretches of time, the variance might be greater.  The first time I saw Giant erupt, I didn't have a clear idea of when the eruption had officially ended.  Other first-time observers may have had similar trouble defining the end of the eruption.  However, all of the durations I used for the 2006 calculations were reported by experienced observers.  The shortest and longest durations (70 and 104 minutes, respectively) reported last year were obtained by the same observer; I was present at one of these eruptions and was in full agreement on how the end of the eruption was being defined.

--Tara Cross
fanandmortar at hotmail.com