[Geysers] Giant and other May 19

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Sun May 20 00:57:32 PDT 2007

>GIANT May 19, 2007 @1209, interval exactly 5d 00h 00m, duration somewhat short @86 minutes.
>Open question: is this sort of duration typical of a Mastiff function eruption?

Interesting question.  This answer comes with the understanding that different observers may call the end of the eruption differently, but based on my experience, these numbers are pretty consistent; 8 of these durations are my own.

Based on the data I have for 2006, eruptions of Giant that were not preceded by Mastiff tended to have longer durations than those that were.  I have duration data for 18 of the 26 eruptions witnessed between April 23 and November 26.  Here's the break-down (all durations in minutes):

With Mastiff (11):  70, 85, 85, 86, 90, 94, 95, 96, 96, 97, 97, average 90.1

Without Mastiff (7):  91, 95, 100, 101, 101, 102, 104, average 99.1

This represents a noticeable difference of 9 minutes on average.

There was a bit of a tendency (based on an admittedly small amount of data) for the shortest durations to follow the shortest intervals.  The shortest 3 durations for eruptions with Mastiff and the shortest 2 for eruptions without all occurred after intervals of 6 days or less.

If anyone would like more specific information, or would like to report the durations for some of the eruptions I'm missing (5/31, 8/5, 9/22, 10/22, 10/27), please contact me.

Thanks again to Scott for the reports!

- Tara Cross
fanandmortar at hotmail.com