[Geysers] New geysers

Stephen J. Eide seide1 at mindspring.com
Fri May 4 15:33:17 PDT 2007

Greetings and Salutations,

I have a longer trip report to follow, but here is the report on the new
geysers, or at least new to me.  One is in Black Sand Basin and the
other is on Geyser hill.  I am attaching photos, I spent the last two
hours attempting to reduce them in size so you could still see them but
not overload your email (I just have a low speed land line also).

First the new geyser in Black Sand.  I first saw it at 1236 on 5-3-07
while driving on the main highway, it was a geyser where I've never seen
a geyser (or pool) before.  If you are standing on the Opalescent
overlook past Spouter it is about as far on the other side of Opalescent
as Opalescent is from the overlook and a little bit down toward the
creek.  It was erupting usually from six to fifteen feet with occasional
bursts that may have made twenty feet slanting toward Iron Creek (like
Daisy).  There are three vents running southwest to northeast (basicly
on a line from Sunset lake to the road).  The vent closest to the road
(farthest from Iron Creek) was doing the high eruptions, the middle vent
rerupted brown/black water to about six inches and the vent closest to
the creek was about a foot to a foot and a half high and was surrounded
by white to beige foam.  It continued to erupt until I left the area at
1320 for a quick run to the info center.  When I returned it was no
longer erupting.  It did splash occasionall up to six feet from 1357 to
1700 when I decided I had to leave to make it home.  I also have a
reasonable Quicktime movie of it in eruption which makes it easier to
see, but I'm sure it will be a problem if you do not have a high speed
line.  If you want, e-mail be (not the list server) and I will try to
send it to you.

The other new geyser is on the main hill in the GHG-3 area (between
Depression geyser and Arrowhead spring).  Until now all these vents have
been on the downhill side of the boardwalk, but this new geyser is on
the uphill side below the badger cave or whatever that hole is above the
boardwalk.  It erupted to about one to one and a half feet 4-30-07 at
1446 i.e., I watched it erupt for about four minutes and left to check
out Aurum while it was still erupting.  I planned to come back to watch
it more but somehow whenever I came back it was not in eruption.  It
comes from a rectangular hole about four feet above the boardwalk.
Hopefully the pictures will help show where it is.

I you want suggestions for names, if the one in Black Sand stays arround
I suggest Sunlight Geyser, because the Black Sand Basin also had the
name "Sunlight Basin" in the past.  For the one on Geyser Hill, in
following the English tradition (or Hobbit if you wish) I suggest the
name Uphill geyser.

The rest of my trip report will follow, for now I need to get into work
to prove to them I'm not still in Yellowstone.

Stephen Eide