[Geysers] Geyser report May 4

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Fri May 4 15:28:07 PDT 2007

After yesterday I was surprised at the amount of blue in this morning's  sky,
but not all was peachy. Driving in took me through several snow showers,  but
the problem was the wind. At home on departure it was 22 degrees; at the
OFVC at 1115 it was 33; at home at 1500 it was 41. The wind was horrid at times.
(And today's forcast did not mention wind, the forcast for tomorrow does!)
Anyhow.....

An odd start for Grotto again. Grotto Fountain started at 0812 and
eventually had a duration of 41 minutes. Grotto did not start until 0845.  Really!
Unlike yesterday, Grotto did not have any sort of "false-start" part way  through
Grotto Fountain, there was no Rocket major, and Grotto had a duration of  27
minutes.

The next Grotto Fountain start was at 1256 (d = 24m). Grotto kicked in at
1307 and was still going when I last spied it around 1430. (Grotto start delays
of 10-12 minutes, like this one, seem to be growing more common.)

I watched Giant hot periods at 0902 (d = 1m48s) and 1342 (d = 4m33s),  but I
really don't know what might have happened between these. Neither was
particulary strong.

Daisy including downloads was 0001E, 0306E, 0603E, 0917, and 1222.

Oblong was empty at 0800, undoubtedly produced that big steam cloud at
1054ie, and had not gone again as I left the area after 1400.

I saw Artemisia's steam cloud at 1149ns.

Grand from yesterday was 1835E, 0122E, and 0847 (T2Q).

Shortly after a Tardy cycle ended, I saw a single eruption of Churn at  0924.

I was not often in sight of Geyser Hill today, but I never saw either Plume
or Aurum... or Depression.

Butch got Lion at 0702, 0825, and 0906.

Dome was active, with the first eruption I saw at 1024.

On the drive in this morning, White Dome was 0725ie.

Scott Bryan

Castle probably enjoyed its minor at 0106E because it didn't have the
followup major until 0835.