[Geysers] New Black Sand geyser

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Fri May 4 15:05:48 PDT 2007

I am attaching two photos, reduced in size and resolution so as to  hopefully
not cause too much download time for you.

New BSB 1 is a telephoto closeup, taken from the sidewalk near Spouter
Geyser. New BSB 2 is more wide angle, with Spouter in the left foreground and
Opalescent Pool at the right edge of the photo. Both picturtes were taken at
about 0745 this morning.

Yesterday Steve Eide got pictures showing this geyser erupting to perhaps  20
feet.

Last evening, Butch Bach went out there and saw nothing.

This morning it was bursting as an intermittent geyser. The biggest  splashes
I saw (as in photo 1) reached perhaps 6 feet and most sprayed more  outward
than upward. The duration of the eruptions was uniformly about 4  minutes, with
the largest bursts near the beginning of the play. The quiet  between the
eruptions was about 2 minutes (so intervals roughly 6 minutes),  during which the
geyser and the small, spouting nearby vents were completely  quiet.

This afternoon at about 1445 I was there for 15 minutes and saw... noting
but a lot of steam. However, unlike this morning, Spouter was in eruption and it
 appeared that some of its runoff might have been flowing into the crater.

This spring is certainly unnamed. It is shown on the USGS thermal map, at
location J5-825E-835S. On my copy of the map, I indicate that it has been known
as a geyser (with a small "g" symbol, as was done by the USGS), but I recall
nothing about it. Clearly, this activity has blown out the crater, probably
enlarging the vent substantially, judging by the chunky debris around it --
and  likely explaining why the 20-foot jetting of yesterday was 6-foot bursting
today.

In summary -- I suspect that this is going to be a temporary addition to
Black Sand Basin.