[Geysers] Answers to "what geyser is this?"

snorkology at sysmatrix.net snorkology at sysmatrix.net
Thu Jul 5 21:24:46 PDT 2007

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for the guesse on what geyser that was a photo of.

After looking at everyone's guesses, I'm definitely leaning towards it
being Solitary Geyser, for two reasons: For one thing, the crater looks a
bit too small to be Fountain's, although it does bear a good resemblance.
Also, the background sloping hillside and distant hills beyond that
correspond well to Solitary, or at least better than Fountain.

The photo was taken (if I remember correctly) in 1908. Was Solitary done
being tapped for hot water by then?

Of course the biggest question is, how could they have gotten the I.D. so
drastically wrong? I suspect that calling a new geyser some name with the
word "Fountain" in it was very commonplace.

In the same night of web-surfing I found another photo, this one
considerably more tongue-in-cheek...enjoy!

                        Grover Schrayer