[Geysers] GIS People on Minute Man Geyser

Freund, Udo udo.freund at lmco.com
Tue Dec 4 08:06:54 PST 2007

I agree this is unnecessary and damaging and especially dumb.   From
what I've read the best this equipment can do is 10cm resolution (3.94
inches).  To stand on top of features is overkill.  I believe these
folks were making a valiant effort to obtain the most accurate data,
which was the goal of the GIS effort.  Did they overstep their authority
and common sense?  Probably.

As far as damaging features goes, four legged critters can do
substantially more without repercussions.  But does that justify what
those two-legged critters were doing?  No.  They should know better.

As usual, much scientific research within the Park has little or no
oversight despite regulations.  Can't wait to see pix of microbe
hunters' methods of species collections in the name of science and the
almighty dollar.

Regulation enforcement and ethics training may need to be embraced a tad
more strongly by NPS and higher -ups in Washington.

Thanks,
Happy Holidays!
Udo Freund