[Geysers] People on Minute Man Geyser

Steven Krause s_krause at mchsi.com
Mon Dec 3 17:35:31 PST 2007

As I pointed out previously.....

That is current, survey grade equipment they were backpacking.

Yes, survey grade GPS equipment truly is accurate to less than an inch
absolute position if they're using a properly calibrated base station.
Accuracy is entirely subject to good survey technique to make sure
jiggle does not affect the results significantly, although there are
also certain averaging techniques that can also minimize that. (The
particular unit in the photo appeared to be a Trimble R8 unit, their
website cites the high accuracy mode as being +- 5mm with a .5ppm rms
error band). One photo does not prove survey technique obviously.

Now, I'll admit that to my mind a better technique would have been to
use that same GPS basestation and pair it with a survey instrument.
About double to triple the number of field measurements required, more
work to translate the measurements into absolute position, and more
expensive due to the cost of the instrument, but that would provide a
non-footprint solution to the problem of "where is that vent".

Steve Krause
Cranky engineer