[Geysers] visitor center radio reception

Bruce Jensen bpnjensen at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 23 09:49:39 PDT 2007

--- carolyn loren <caroloren98 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> As you know if you've been in the basin, the temporary visitor center
> has terrible radio reception, not only because of the din when it's
> busy.  I no longer remember who, but someone suggested a Radio Shack
> antenna that would boost the reception for GOSA radios.
>
> Megan_O'Malley at nps.gov is the person to give any info. or suggestions
> you have; she hasn't found a product searching the internet.  Do tell
> her and not me, as I'm off on Sunday for a month at the Alaska cabin.
> Quick info. would be good; there's a little money that can be spent,
> soon!, for such things.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Carolyn at Old Faithful

What the VC could probably use is a good quality *GMRS* (General Mobile
Radio Service) radio that can be used as a hand-held walkie talkie, and as
a unit that can be attached to an external antenna.  The example in the
link below shows such a radio of good quality for not a huge expenditure
of money.  It has a detachable antenna that *in itself* is better than the
stubbier fixed antennas usually found on FRS radios, and the connector
below the antenna could be attached to a cable that would run to an
external elevated antenna:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/frs/1606.html

Not only that, but the GMRS radio uses a higher wattage output that would
probably yield good coverage as far away as Biscuit and Black Sand Basin -
and if the antenna is high enough, perhaps as far as Midway or Lonestar.

Unlike FRS radios, GMRS radios generally require a license to operate (I
have GMRS radios that I use in the basin, and I have the 5-year license).
However, with the NPS being a government agency, the licensing and fee
requirements may be waived or simplified.

I will look into this some more.

Bruce Jensen