[Geysers] visitor center radio reception

James Graber jgra at loc.gov
Mon Aug 27 06:46:18 PDT 2007

The last time I bought radios, I think most of the slightly upgraded
radios had both FRS and GMRS.  (like the $19.99 radios had only FRS, but
the $29.99 radios had both FRS and GMRS).  So using both FRS and GMRS is
only a channel switch.  Those people who want to be legal will pay their
$85 or use only the lower channels.  (If you read the fine print in the
slip of paper in your new radio box before you throw it away, it will
say something about the license.  I bet far fewer than 50% ever read
it.)
Jim Graber  jgra at loc.gov

--- carolyn loren <caroloren98 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> As you know if you've been in the basin, the temporary visitor
center
> has terrible radio reception, not only because of the din when it's
> busy.  I no longer remember who, but someone suggested a Radio Shack
> antenna that would boost the reception for GOSA radios.
>
> Megan_O'Malley at nps.gov is the person to give any info. or
suggestions
> you have; she hasn't found a product searching the internet.  Do
tell
> her and not me, as I'm off on Sunday for a month at the Alaska cabin.

> Quick info. would be good; there's a little money that can be spent,
> soon!, for such things.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Carolyn at Old Faithful

What the VC could probably use is a good quality *GMRS* (General
Mobile
Radio Service) radio that can be used as a hand-held walkie talkie, and
as
a unit that can be attached to an external antenna.  The example in
the
link below shows such a radio of good quality for not a huge
expenditure
of money.  It has a detachable antenna that *in itself* is better than
the
stubbier fixed antennas usually found on FRS radios, and the connector
below the antenna could be attached to a cable that would run to an
external elevated antenna:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/frs/1606.html

Not only that, but the GMRS radio uses a higher wattage output that
would
probably yield good coverage as far away as Biscuit and Black Sand
Basin -
and if the antenna is high enough, perhaps as far as Midway or
Lonestar.

Unlike FRS radios, GMRS radios generally require a license to operate
(I
have GMRS radios that I use in the basin, and I have the 5-year
license).
However, with the NPS being a government agency, the licensing and fee
requirements may be waived or simplified.

I will look into this some more.

Bruce Jensen