[Geysers] visitor center radio reception

Bruce Jensen bpnjensen at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 23 08:27:29 PDT 2007

--- carolyn loren <caroloren98 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> As you know if you've been in the basin, the temporary visitor center
> has terrible radio reception, not only because of the din when it's
> busy.  I no longer remember who, but someone suggested a Radio Shack
> antenna that would boost the reception for GOSA radios.
>
> Megan_O'Malley at nps.gov is the person to give any info. or suggestions
> you have; she hasn't found a product searching the internet.  Do tell
> her and not me, as I'm off on Sunday for a month at the Alaska cabin.
> Quick info. would be good; there's a little money that can be spent,
> soon!, for such things.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Carolyn at Old Faithful

What the VC probably needs is a decent-quality commercial/gov't radio or
GMRS radio that can use an external antenna at about 25-30 feet above
ground.  The little blister pack Motorolas and etc. are OK for field use
by the gazers, but for reliable VC communications with gazers, something a
little better might be appropriate, especially since the VC will always be
at the extreme end of the basin, and will always need to deal with
intervening topography and other barriers.  I am doing some research on
this now.

It is also possible that the radios the NPS already uses are capable of
this type of communication.

Bruce Jensen