[Geysers] visitor center radio reception

eclipserd eclipserd at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 23 20:04:21 PDT 2007

Udo and the group,

If I could make a plea; Please don't overlook the
utilitarian aspect of Amateur radio outside of the
park.  While the focus right here is GOSA and
facilitating better communications within the basin,
there are many other aspects to it that quickly out
weigh GMRS or other types of communications.  I'll get
to those in a little bit.

You are correct in that each person needs his or her
own license.  Third-party communications are done but
this is not as convenient as a licensed operator must
be present while a unlicensed person transmits over
the air.  You are also correct that 'Vanity' calls are
extra money.  You certainly are not required to get
one but can if you so choose.  Most amateur's just
stay with the sequential callsign issued by the FCC.

First off, The FCC and the organization who creates
the questions for the test have really simplified it
within the last seven to ten years.  I'll admit that
the test is one of the biggest roadblocks to people
getting into the hobby but, it serves it's purpose in
keeping "uncivilized persons" off the bands.  I won't
elaborate on this except to say that Amateur radio
maintains a very "Family friendly" atmosphere, as
opposed to CB. I've known entire families to become
licensed at the same time.  If you can grasp some
very; and I mean VERY simple concepts of basic
electronics and some very simple radio terminology,
you'll be well on your way to getting a license.
About 75% of the test is really just common sense.
Don't let the test get the better of you.  There is no
time limit and most testing sessions will allow a
couple of retakes should a test be failed.  There are
books out there that can give you a more in-depth
background or you can get books that just go over each
question in the question pool and tell you what the
correct answer is and why with a short explanation.
There are a number of websites around that have real
sample tests which will give you a mock test and grade
it for you so you can check yourself.  I think I'm
rambling on, but I hope this paints a better picture.

With regards to licensing youngsters, my father has
had eight and nine year olds pass the test.  There is
no age restriction to becoming licensed.  They need to
understand the rules and how to properly operate their
radios but I've NEVER known this to be an issue.  Most
operators are thrilled that youngsters get into the
hobby at such a young age and are usually more than
happy to help.

Amateur radio enjoys a long history of being the one
communication medium that was able to get through when
all others failed during emergencies.  Now I know that
we're not talking any type of emergency, but the ease
of configuration, the ease of logistics and the
ability to manipulate the infrastructure when needed
is what makes it so successful in a emergency
situation and could do the same in our situation.  The
details of how this all comes together is albeit a bit
too lengthy for this discussion list.  I'll simply say
that with today's modern radios (and even some second
hand radios to be had on the used market), All kinds
of communication configurations are possible.

The equipment needed could cost conceivably less than
that of a GMRS radio and license.  I know of quite a
few good radios for sale on Ebay and at local swap
meets.  Most clubs can help in obtaining a used radios
and Amateur Radio operators are known for their
honesty in selling good, used equipment.  GMRS
licenses are only good for five years.  Amateur radio
licenses are good for 10 years.  There is No fee or
test for renewal.  All you have to do is submit a
renewal form in the mail or online at the FCC's
website.

With the 'Gazing' season on the downward side, it
would be a great wintertime activity to become
licensed.  Most radio clubs ramp up their meeting
schedules and they are a great way to meet others in
the hobby that can help new people become licensed.  I
live in Salt Lake City.  I know it's not possible to
get everyone here and run through a quick class (2
days - 3-4 hours) but I'll propose the following:

Send me an email and tell me where you reside in the
wintertime and I will search and forward radio club
and testing times and locations for your area.  I'll
also give you some websites that can be of great use
in getting licensed and how to navigate the hobby once
your licensed.

It's really that easy.  I won't throw out the
usefulness of FRS or GMRS but I think given the
circumstances of what is being attempted and what can
be accomplished, amateur radio is by far the best
solution.

Amateur radio is enjoyed by many as a reliable means
of keeping in contact with friends and family.  It's
perfect for caravanning on trips and distances are
usually much greater and signals much clearer than CB
or FRS.  For most it's a fascinating hobby.  It is a
very safe bet that emergency help can be obtained on
an amateur frequency where a cell phone has no
service.  Most hams will do whatever is needed to help
newcomers and ensure that they stay active.  Contrary
to myths, some amateur equipment is smaller than
todays cellphones, is a good value with multiple
brands and features to choose from.  The used market
is an excellent source for radio gear.  Test's are not
given by FCC employees, rather by friendly volunteers
who are interested in seeing you pass your test and
ensuring the future of this excellent resource -
Amateur Radio

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Daland Speirs