[Geysers] visitor center radio reception

eclipserd eclipserd at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 22 21:03:24 PDT 2007

Carolyn,

Might these radios be the FRS type radios used by
GOSA?  If so, FRS radios are prohibited from having
removable antennas.  With that being said, a handheld
will probably only be good for 1/4 to 1/2 or maybe a
mile, given what the RF signal has to travel through
before being received and the terrain.  I know that
Radio Shack and a few other manufactures make "mobile"
style FRS units with permanently attached antenna's
which have a "pod" or "module" which contains the mic,
speaker, and transmitter all in one unit.  This might
be a solution depending on the fixed antenna cable
length and a suitable mounting location.

On the other hand, if the radios are government
radios, then they would fall under whatever entity
services them.  But it sounds like we're talking
FRS.....

As some may know, I'm an amateur radio operator and
plug for it when I can.  This would be a great use for
it.  Contrary to what may be said about it, it's very
easy to get into and even though it didn't apply to
the basic license, as of February, there is no morse
code testing whatsoever.  I think with the level of
aptitude of those on this board,  the test would be a
no-brainer.  The test is multiple choice and the
entire question pool is widely available to study
before taking the test.  The testing cost is only $14.
 One could conceivably get a license and radio for
about the same cost as a nice set of FRS radios!  A
hundred dollars or less.  Amateur radio does have some
rules and what can and can't be done with it.  No
pecuniary benefit can be made from it's use.
Operators can't be paid for communicating.  Basicly,
don't try to make money with it.  None of these
criteria are of to be of concern with regards to GOSA.

The times that I've been in the park, I've been able
to raise an amateur radio operator in one of the fire
towers at the north end of the park.  It's been nice
to know I have a reliable link to emergency services
and law enforcement should the need arise.  Handheld
radios are small and compact and can usually run up to
five watts of power as opposed to 1/4 or 1/2 of a watt
for FRS.  You aren't restricted to five watts, it's
just what most handheld radios top out at.  Mobile
radios generally run up 50 watts but go even higher
(75 to 100 Watts) depending on manufacture and price.

If there was enough interest and people decided to get
licensed, a radio club may be willing to donate
surplus equipment.  This would be a very low or even
no-cost endeavor.

Repeaters make amateur radio even better as they
extend the range of a handheld by great amounts.  At
one time, there was talk about trying to get a
repeater in the park somewhere but I've not heard what
happened to that idea.  It was six or seven years ago
and I've not heard anything since.

I know that amateur radio may not work for everyone,
but it has become so easy to get licensed in the last
10 years that it would surprise you.  I'd be happy to
help anyone get info on getting licensed and what kind
of equipment would be best suited for this task.

Just some info and food for thought,

Daland Speirs
WVC, UT