[Geysers] visitor center radio reception

Freund, Udo udo.freund at lmco.com
Thu Aug 23 11:25:34 PDT 2007

GMRS hand-helds are capable of ~2 mile range in the Upper Basin but the
license now runs $85 per family unit.  That's more than the cost of a
pair of decent radios and must be renewed every 5 years.  That fee was
$70 a few years back, so who knows how much it'll be in 5 years.  I do
not advocate illegal activity nor am I suggesting that anyone do so, but
what do you think the likelihood is of the FCC appearing in the Park to
enforce illegal radio usage (of any kind)?  [Those darn geyser gazers
are talking again - let's get 'em.  Heck, gotta find 'em first!  Okay,
who among the 27 of you in the monkey cage with radios called out "Water
is rising in Mastiff"?  You're busted!  Yeah, that's likely to happen
alright!  LOL]

Unless I misunderstood FCC rules, each person that wishes to use amateur
radios should be licensed separately, which may adversely affect
families, especially with children.  What if the husband flunks and the
wife passes the test (or vice-versa) and what about the youngsters?
There is no fee for the license itself unless you wish to have a "Vanity
License", which is $20.80.

The best options IMO boil down to expensive amateur gear for long-range
for a few gazers or cheap FRS for short range for everyone.  I think it
would be beneficial to take a survey to see who's willing to take the
plunge for the amateur gear.  If enough say yes, then it could become
the new GOSA "standard" radio.  Any takers?  Any other recommendations
besides using cell phones?

Thanks,
Udo Freund