[Geysers] Old Faithful night shot (correct link)

Moose, Allan E. MOOSEAE at uwec.edu
Mon Aug 13 14:37:43 PDT 2007

Personally, I'm skeptical that this is an actual photograph. Rather, I think it was a "manufactured" (i.e. Photo Shopped) picture.  My evidence for this is as follows:

(1) In order to get a picture of the Milky Way with that much detail and coloring, and especially the reddish pink blobs that are likely gaseous nebulae, you would need to do a time exposure with the camera mounted on an equatorial mount.

(2) If there was enough light to show the tree line as clearly as shown, then during a time exposure there Old Faithful would have put up numerous steam puffs that would have left a steam smear in the picture. If you have the camera stationary to get Old Faithful without smears, then a time exposure results in star trails.

(3) Look at the top of the steam cloud from Old Faithful. To me that appears totally bogus. The structure of the water flow within the water column during an OF eruption is very different from what is shown and the steam rising off the column does not feather out into wisps as shown.

Allan