[Geysers] Old Faithful night shot (correct link)

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Sun Aug 12 17:08:11 PDT 2007

I believe it was taken from the "river view" asphalt, on the way down to the
view of Beehive.  The walk is definitely lower in elevation than the cone of
OF, and you're side opposite the cone are not visible.  The cone is
illuminated on its right side, which is where the light from the inn would
shine on it.

If anything, this is a salute to the excellent nighttime lighting around Old
Faithful.  You can still see your way but aren't blinded by stupid/excessive
wattage and fixtures.  We gazers had a lot to do with correcting this, and
the International Dark Sky Association was also involved. Also, the NPS
could use this photo to show their dedication to every aspect of nature in
Yellowstone, including the appreciation of its gorgeous night sky.

Fifteen years ago this photo wouldn't have been possible.  The glare from
all the idiotic mercury lights would have made it look muddy and crappy.

Paul Strasser