[Geysers] *SPAM?* RE: Old Faithful night shot (correct link)

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Mon Aug 13 18:54:04 PDT 2007

Allan:

I too have wondered about its authenticity.  First off, it is NOT a photo of
it in eruption.  Period.  It's just OF giving off nice little bits of steam
on a particularly still night.  I have taken time exposures in the geyser
basin and steam does very weird things - can look like trains of feathers,
as a matter of fact, and definitely appeared photoshopped.  But that's how
they turned out.

Of greater concern is the lack of trailing, as you indicate. Either the sky
will trail, or the ground will trail.  I have some great photos of Hale-Bopp
in which either the comet or the trees are trailing (this was with 1000 ISO
film).  Put simply, in a time exposure you cannot have both trees and sky
crystal clear.    I've copied the photo into photoshop AND PSP and see zero
evidence of blurring in either stars or trees.

You need an exposure of several minutes with VERY fast film to capture the
milky way so beautifully, and in that time the ground would be a huge smear.

I am NOT saying that this is phony.  I'm just saying that someone with some
experience in such astrophotography is utterly flummoxed as to how it was
done.  So - the question to the photographer - how did you do it?

BTW, my brother had an "astronomy photo of the day" of Stonehenge on the
summer solstice.  Totally real, but several people complained to the site
that it HAD to have been bogus.

Paul Strasser