[Geysers] Question about Yellowstone (history) Books

Janet Chapple jochapple at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 6 17:41:42 PDT 2007

Hello Kathy,

You won't find a single book that tells all you want to know. Haines
has a lot of answers, as you know, but for many details you would need
several books. For example, there's a tome by Mary Shivers Culpin
called "The History of the Construction of the Road System . . . "
where quite a few of your roads questions up to 1966 would be answered,
but it has no index. Another good history book besides Haines's is
Bartlett's "Yellowstone: A Wilderness Besieged." He's inclined to
emphasize the concessionaires, the railroads, and the Park Service in
ways that differ from Haines.

As to the specific questions you mentioned, you can get brief answers
in "Yellowstone Treasures." Namely, the Bunsen Peak Road was closed to
auto traffic in 1995 (p. 274 in the 2nd Ed.), and around the same time,
the Fountain Flats Drive was closed part way toward Ojo Caliente Spring
(p. 52). I was told apropos of that one (by an NPS employee) that the
reason was "to mitigate impact on the wetland area and to create an
additional biking opportunity." I personally suspect that having too
few rangers to patrol these out-of-the-way places also has something to
do with it.

About the Grand Loop Road and Morning Glory, see pages 95 and 72. On
the latter page I hint gently about my annoyance at the Old Faithful
Interchange. I've heard that that monstrosity may be changed, but these
things don't happen overnight. Personally, I'd be very happy not to go
two miles out of the way when trying to get to OF Lodge or the Upper
Basin store from the West Thumb side.

I'm sure other gazers will have more suggestions. I'd say you're on the
right track in building your personal YNP library. I've been working on
that for over thirty years now.

Janet

Janet Chapple, author and publisher
Granite Peak Publications