[Geysers] Question about Yellowstone (history) Books

Kathy HavinsNest at swbell.net
Mon Aug 6 07:28:01 PDT 2007

This isn't a geyser report or even a geyser question but my experience
with this group over the past years has been one of awe and amazement at
the Yellowstone knowledge held in the minds and hearts of the people
here. With that in mind, I come seeking information.

I know there are lots of books about the Park. Heaven Knows I have 2
shelves full of Yellowstone books already. I recently ordered a copy of
Yellowstone Place Names and I look forward to getting and reading it. I
have books about history, geology, Scott's geyser books, fires, deaths,
waterfalls and hiking and fishing. My collection is growing in little
bits and pieces. Smile BUT, history, for me, is more than dates and
places. I'm a who, when and why kind of gal. I like the story that goes
behind and beyond the date and place. Although it probably sounds
gruesome, the Death in Yellowstone book is a family favorite.

I have several old Haynes Guidebooks and I've read both volumes of
Aubrey Haines' history of the park. The Haynes Guidebooks are kind of
fun to read and look at and compare to "now." The maps inside them are
very interesting, to me, as they show so many changes.
What I'm looking for is something that explains/tells when the Bunsen
Peak Road became a trail instead of a road, when the Grand Loop Road
stopped going directly past Morning Glory Pool, that sort of thing. (I
understand the "why" I am really interested in the when and how did they
decide, etc). Am I looking for a Hollywood (er, Yellowstone) "behind the
scenes tell-all" sans Paris Hilton? Wink

Is there such a book or books like that out in the world? For that
matter, am I making sense to anyone besides me? My husband laughs at me
when I ask these kinds of questions and he told me to ask y'all. I am
posing the same question on the Yellowstone.Net discussion board in
hopes that someone understands what I'm talking about and knows if such
a book (books?) is available.

We won't be back in the Park until July 2009 and I am dealing with
serious withdrawal pains. Anyway, if anyone understands my quest and has
a book title to look for I'd appreciate it.
--
Kathy