[Geysers] Geyser report April 21

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sat Apr 21 15:51:18 PDT 2007

Note that I am separately posting an account about West Flood Geyser.

This morning, after seeing West Flood in eruption at 0747... the earliest
report is the download on Castle for 0705E. That perfectly fits with yesterday
morning's 0453, and then 1748 yesterday.

Interesting things at times. At 0810 I saw that there were puddles of water
(_not_ snowmelt, of which there'd been 2-3 inches overnight) in the runoff
from  Rift. West Triplet appeared to be dry and completely empty. I caught the
start  of Turban, also at 0810, then went on down basin to find that nothing had
 erupted and that Grotto was apparently still in marathon (but see below on
that).

Returning to Grand, West Triplet was in eruption at 0835 (hmmm) and Turban
was just ended. The next Turban was at 0853, therefore likely an interval of 27
 minutes.

Sometime during the next Turban interval, West Triplet quit. We were
talking, paying little attention -- sorry -- but were decidedly surprised when  Rift
started at 0916. It lasted not more than 4 minutes, quitting just before  the
next Turban. And the next Turban was at 0920, 27 minutes again. On this one,
Grand erupted seconds later (D1/T1Q, d ~ 10 1/2m).

Daisy 0925. Oblong 0935.

Off to Geyser Hill. Plume at 0950; later at 1038. Aurum 1024. More on
Beehive below.

Riverside called on the radio at 1032. Artemisia 1036ie steam.

Grotto turns out to have not been in the same marathon this morning, but a
different one. The Madsens saw it shut off last evening between 1700 and 1730,
so it had a duration of roughly (very roughly) 12 hours. But, yes BUT, there
was  a weak Giant hot period only 3 hours later. And then today Grotto was
again in  marathon (no question, i.e. with Variable down and Bijou totally off)
at 0820  and still going after 1400. This don't sound real good.

Later, spent some time at Fountain (I think others finally saw Fountain,  but
I gave it up after being there in the wind for nearly 1 1/2 hours).  While
there:
Jet at 1138, 1145, 1217, 1226, 1234, 1242 and 1251. Note what happened
during that 32 minute interval from 1145 to 1217.
Sizzler (Super Frying Pan) 1150, d ~ 14m
Spasm 1206 (quit and drained at 1243)
About the moment that Spasm quit, the water level visibly fell in Morning
(but little or not at all in Fountain).

OK, Beehive is dormant. Bet my bottom dollar on it. A more careful
observation today showed not only the orange bacteria (rather dark orange at  that) in
the Indicator, but also that the West Bubbler is surrounded by a rather
luxuriant growth of orange bacteria, and that the same grows right to the
immediate base of Beehive's cone. No, there's been no eruption in quite some  time.
Sorry folks.

All from today...........