[Geysers] Geyser Report 4-7-07

Mike Keller KSCOPE_YNP at peoplepc.com
Sun Apr 8 15:19:13 PDT 2007

Today had to be one the best weather days I have ever had in
Yellowstone-sunny, no wind, mid 50’s.  There is very little snow left in the
UGB.  All of the boardwalks are clear.  The only area with any snow left is
in the trees between Sawmill and Lion.  There were fresh grizzly tracks in
the frost on the boardwalk between Giant and Grotto at 0730.

Dome was in eruption at 1308.  Last evening it was in overflow but not
erupting at 1900.  It might have been in series earlier this morning, but I
wasn’t in the area of Geyser Hill to see.

Uncertain erupted at 0707.  Every other time I passed by, Sawmill was in
eruption.

Grand erupted at 1016 (N/T1Q) with a duration of 10m 44s.

Beauty Pool was in overflow again today.

Oblong was seen at 0903ie and again at 2021.  I was out of the basin for a
while this afternoon and would assume it erupted at least twice between
these two eruptions.

Grotto/Giant-Grotto Fountain started at 0814 and Grotto followed at 0820.
This Grotto became a marathon eruption, with Grotto still in eruption at
2040.  Giant had three hot periods during the day:

            0721-bathtub

            0824-hot period, duration 8m 15s with Mastiff surging to 4
feet-this hot period had a strong restart with Giant filling the bottom ½ of
the cone several times

            1025ie-hot period-seen from Grand, estimated duration about 3
minutes

            1219-hot period, duration 6m 33s-this appeared to be Giant’s
“last gasp” as effects of the marathon were beginning to happen at Giant

Daisy was seen at 0733, then again at 1145ie.

Black Diamond and Wall Pool were murky at 1325.  There was evidence of fresh
wash around Black Diamond.  “Salt and Pepper” were in eruption every time I
passed by them today.

Cynthia saw Fountain Geyser at 1158ie.

MK