[Geysers] Geyser Report 4-8-07

Mike Keller KSCOPE_YNP at peoplepc.com
Sun Apr 8 17:16:06 PDT 2007

No fresh bear tracks in the UGB today, but a grizzly killed a bison on the
side of the road about ¾ of a mile north of Biscuit Basin overnight.

Dome was still active.  I saw it in eruption at 0626 and at 1255.

Little Squirt was not in eruption at 0626, but was in eruption at 1255.

Castle was in steam phase at 0626.

Sawmill/Penta-There was a Tardy cycle just after noon in the Sawmill group,
and on several occasions the main vent of Penta started splashing up to 2
feet, but it failed to start.  Sawmill was seen in eruption about 45 minutes
after Penta tried to erupt.

Grand-Vent, Turban, and Rift were all 0628ie.  Grand erupted again at 1218
(N/T2Q) and lasted 10m 31s

Grotto/Giant-Grotto was off at 0240.  Based on how it looked I would
estimate it stopped around 0130 for a duration of about 17 hours.  Grotto
had not erupted again when I left the area at 1430.  Giant had hot periods
at:

            0628-Bijou on, hot period recently ended

            1048-hot period, duration 4m 17s-Mastiff was very strong with
surges up to 3 feet at first but slowly faded

            1323ie-hot period, duration over 6 ½ minutes-strong overflow
from Mastiff but no surges higher than 2 feet

Daisy was not seen until 1234ie.  It was very windy in the Upper Basin
starting around 0945.

Great Fountain was seen in eruption from the road at 0706ie.

Fountain Geyser erupted at 0746 with and lasted 43 minutes.  About 15
minutes into Fountain, “Morning’s Thief” had a series of bursts to about 20
feet.

UNNG-12 in the Kaleidoscope Group is very active right now.  Over the past 3
days I saw several eruptions from it reaching 50+ feet from the road or the
Fountain Group.  They appear to be coming in a series, with several
eruptions happening at short (3-6 minute intervals) followed by longer (1
hour plus) periods of inactivity.

MK