[Geysers] Lion and ? (Goggle)

Udo Freund gosastore at qnet.com
Fri Sep 15 16:57:54 PDT 2006

My first impression was that it was N. Goggles Geyser.  But after
further review I believe that it's Goggle Spring.  It appears to be
coming up from ground level (obscured by terrain in front of it) at the
base of Lion's mound.  N. Goggles is further uphill to the right and
close to the sign at the boardwalk intersection.  I think that sign can
be seen as the first light speck to the right of the steam.

Does Goggle Spring always erupt the way it's described here?  Could it
have had a vertical spurt that coincidentally was captured?  To me it
looks like a separate event with Lion's steam in front of it.

For the cartographically challenged I've attached a detailed map of the
Hill, which includes Old Faithful to give some perspective.  Sadly the
map does not include the cam location, which is shown in a satellite
view at URL:
http://www.nps.gov/archive/yell/tours/livecams/oldfaithful/satellitecameralocation.jpg

Too bad the picture's resolution isn't better.  The attached map is
hi-res and therefore a large file.  I apologize to those on dial-up but
hope it proves useful for this and other mysteries.

Udo