[Geysers] Lion and ? (N.Goggles)

Ron Keam r.keam at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Sep 14 19:54:26 PDT 2006

The postings on this matter lead me to ask:  Does a very detailed map
of the locations of the springs on Geyser Hill, and indeed the whole
area back to OF Lodge exist?  (I have a recollection of being told
that this was the case during a very early conversation I had with
Scott Bryan.)  If so, and if also a reasonably accurate location for
the camera is known, then it ought to be possible quite readily to
determine the direction of the line-of-sight to the steam cloud that
appears to show something erupting. If the line-of-sight intersects
the location of a thermal spring, then this becomes a prime candidate
for the source of the cloud.  (Of course there could be ambiguities
if more than one spring lies on the l-o-s, and there is still a
reasonable probability that it is a Lion cloud masquerading - as
several others have suggested.)  This is a process I have used
several times in my own investigations of geographic features in the
New Zealand thermal region - particularly with historical photos.

Ron Keam

--

Ron Keam
EMail r.keam at auckland.ac.nz