[Geysers] Geyser report September 9

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sat Sep 9 15:21:40 PDT 2006

No doubt info about today's Giant eruption (September 9 @ 1242) has  already
been posted, but to possibly repeat. The Grotto marathon that yesterday  I
reported as having reached 26 hours as of noon actually had a duration of  about
36 hours -- it was still i.e. at 2145 last evening, but off "for a while"  as
of 2225.

The recovery hot period was therefore anticipated at around 0800 (+ or - 2
hours or so) today. But it did not finally happen until 1231, a recovery
period of about 14 1/2 hours. Emerald Vent was bubbling, even slightly
overflowing, in the 5 to 6 hours before the hot period.

Feather and Feather Satellite came on very quickly, and I think Rust beat
Satellite. The SW Vents were lazy. There was some bubbling overflow by Turtle,
but I never saw more than very small bubbling in Cave.

Mastiff began to erupt at 1240. It reached not less than 40 feet  high.

Giant started at 1242. It was huge.

Catfish, for those who could see it, sounded like thunder and was at least
60 feet high though rather brief. The steam phase in Bijou was never real
strong.

Downside to it all -- the wind began blowing from the east during the hot
period -- the most powerful parts of Mastiff and Giant were largely shrouded by
the steam. The view from across the river might have been fabulous.

Other things during the wait -- and thanks to those who made the radio  calls:

Beehive was at 0221ie, and interval of only about 18h 22m.

Grand was 0420ie and 1055ns, so only a bit longer than 6 1/2 hours.

Castle at 1037 was a minor.

Oblong erupted at 0413ie, 0737 (3h 24m), and during Giant at 1330 (5h  53m).

Last for the UGB, we had Daisy at 0418ie, 0730 (3h 12m), 1036 (3h 06m), and
1327 (2h 51m).

Down in the Lower Basin, somebody reported that Fountain was ie at 0715,  and
I saw it ie at 1435.

Nice day. My personal boast: 6 Giants this year, 5 from the start (4 cage,  1
at Oblong) and 1 from the parking lot; 4 Mastiff function and 2 Normal
function.