[Geysers] Norris

Polly Panos pollypanos at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 7 18:42:48 PDT 2006

I spent an hour at Steamboat Geyser on the morning of September 3.

The south vent was putting out good amounts of water, which often resulted in run-off that could be easily heard as well as seen along the back channel.  I recorded eleven south jets of vertical water (plus three more possible ones).  Many of the south vent minors were tree height, with at least one as high as the tallest tree.  (I was standing next to the left bench on the mid-level platform, so I think that puts most of the south vent bursts in the 20-30 foot range.)

The north vent was also often tree height, but I saw no vertical jets (all were oblique).  Many bursts were in the 15-20 foot range.

I recorded 47% concerted minors, although it is possible that I could have missed some because of heavy steam (and instead recorded them as south vent).  I recorded 42% that were south vent intitiated.

Cistern Spring had overflow that had formed a pool near the boardwalk.  The spring was boiling, but not what I would call a vigorous boil (not as strong a boil as I usually see).  The ranger reported that the intervals of Echinus were gradually lengthening, and I think that he said that the eruptions were 2-4 days apart.

Thank you, everyone, for a great weekend!  Giant was AWESOME!!
Polly Panos
pollypanos at earthlink.net