[Geysers] history of Yellowstone hot spot

Lisa Morgan lmorgan at usgs.gov
Tue Oct 17 12:01:03 PDT 2006

Several research papers have been written on the track of the Yellowstone
hot spots by Ken Pierce and myself.   These include:

Pierce, Kenneth L., and Morgan, Lisa A., 1992, The track of the Yellowstone
hot spot: Volcanism, faulting, and uplift, in Link, P.K., Kuntz, M.A., and
Platt, L.B., eds., Regional geology of eastern Idaho and western Wyoming,
Geological Society of America Memoir 179, p. 1-53.

Pierce, Kenneth L., Morgan, Lisa A., and Saltus, R.W., 2004, Yellowstone
plume head: Postulated relations to the Vancouver slab, continental
boundaries, and climate, in Bonnichsen, B., White, C.M., and McCurry,
Michael, eds., Tectonic and Magmatic Evolution of the Snake River Plain
Volcanic Province, Idaho Geological Survey Bulletin 30, p. 5-33.

Other papers of interest related to Yellowstone, the hot spot, and
hydrothermal activity in Yellowstone that Ken, myself, and colleagues at
the USGS have written are:

Morgan, L.A., and McIntosh, W.C., 2005, 40Ar/39Ar Ages of Silicic Volcanic
Rocks in the Heise Volcanic Field, Eastern Snake River Plain, Idaho: Timing
of Volcanism and Tectonism, Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 117,
no. 3/4, p. 288-306.

Lowenstern, Jacob B., Christiansen, Robert L., Smith, Robert B., Morgan,
Lisa A., and Heasler, Henry, 2005, Steam Explosions, Earthquakes, and
Volcanic Eruptions­What’s in Yellowstone’s Future?, U.S. Geological Survey
Fact Sheet 2005-3024, 2005, 6 p.

Morgan, Lisa A. and Shanks, W.C. Pat III, 2005, Influences of rhyolitic
lava flows on hydrothermal processes in Yellowstone Lake and on the
Yellowstone Plateau, in William P. Inskeep and Timothy R. McDermott (eds.),
Geothermal Biology and Geochemistry in Yellowstone National Park, p. 31-52.

Shanks, W.C. Pat, Morgan, Lisa A., Balistrieri, Laurie A., and Alt, Jeffrey
C., 2005, Hydrothermal vents, siliceous hydrothermal deposits, and
hydrothermally altered sediments in Yellowstone Lake, in William P. Inskeep
and Timothy R. McDermott (eds.), Geothermal Biology and Geochemistry in
Yellowstone National Park, p. 53-72.

Finn, C.A. and Morgan, Lisa A., 2002, High-resolution aeromagnetic survey
of volcanic terrain, Yellowstone National Park: Journal of Volcanology and
Geothermal Research 115, p. 207-231.

Morgan, Lisa A., Shanks, W.C. III, Lovalvo, David, A., Johnson, S.Y.,
Stephenson, W.J., Pierce, K.L., Harlan, S.S., Finn, C.A., Lee, G., Webring,
M., Schulze, B., Dühn, J., Sweeney, R., and Balistrieri, L., 2003,
Exploration and Discovery in Yellowstone Lake: Results from High-Resolution
Sonar Imaging, Seismic Reflection Profiling, and Submersible Studies in
Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, v. 122, p. 221-242.

  Other papers soon to be published are:

Pierce, K.L. Despain, D., Morgan, Lisa A., and Good, J., 2005, Effects of
Hotspot-related Volcanism, Faulting, and Uplift on the Greater Yellowstone
Ecosystem and Human Geography, in Morgan, L.A. (ed.), Integrated Geoscience
Studies in the Greater Yellowstone Area: Volcanic, Tectonic, and
Hydrothermal Processes in the Yellowstone Geoecosystem, U.S. Geological
Survey Professional Paper 1717.

Morgan, Lisa A., Shanks, W.C. Lovalvo, D., Lee, G., Pierce, K.L., Webring,
M. Stephenson, W.J., Johnson, S.Y., Finn, C.A., Harlan, 2005, The Floor of
Yellowstone Lake is Anything but Quiet:  New Discoveries from
High-Resolution Sonar Imaging, Seismic Reflection Profiling, and
Submersible Studies, in Morgan, Lisa A., (ed.), Integrated Geoscience
Studies in the Greater Yellowstone Area: Volcanic, Tectonic, and
Hydrothermal Processes in the Yellowstone Geoecosystem, U.S. Geological
Survey Professional Paper 1717.

Shanks, W. C. III, Alt, J., and Morgan, Lisa A., 2005, Geochemistry of
sublacustrine hydrothermal deposits in Yellowstone Lake: hydrothermal
reactions, stable isotope systematics, sinter deposition, and spire growth,
in Morgan, Lisa A. (ed.), Integrated Geoscience Studies in the Greater
Yellowstone Area: Volcanic, Tectonic, and Hydrothermal Processes in the
Yellowstone Geoecosystem, U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 1717.

Saunders, A.D., Jones, S.M., Morgan, Lisa A., Pierce, K.L., Widdowson, M.,
and Xu, Y., 2006, Regional uplift associated with continental large igneous
provinces: The roles of mantle plumes and the lithosphere, in Chemical Geology
Morgan, Lisa A., Shanks, W.C. Pat, and Pierce, Kenneth L., in press,
Bathymetry, Geology, and Selected Perspective Views of the Floor of
Yellowstone Lake, in U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Map
Series (tba), 2 plates.

A couple other research papers related to large hydrothermal explosions and
features in Yellowstone are currently in review.

Reprints and pdf's are available upon request to me at lmorgan at usgs.gov

Lisa Morgan

At 10:49 PM 10/15/2006, Meg Justus wrote:
>Does anyone have a good source on the history of the Yellowstone Hot
>Spot?  Actually, not of the hot spot itself, but of how it got figured
>out?  Especially when it became an accepted piece of knowledge?  And when
>it was disseminated and how widely?
>
>I've checked what I've got, but I can't find anything on the subject.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Meg Justus

Lisa A. Morgan                   U.S. Geological Survey
Research Geologist            Denver Federal Center,
                                             Box 25046, MS 966
lmorgan at usgs.gov            Denver, CO  80225-004
phone: 303-273-8646
fax:       303-273-8600