[Geysers] history of Yellowstone hot spot

Wayne Simister wsimister at sisna.com
Tue Oct 17 18:50:12 PDT 2006

Many thanks, Lisa, for the references you gave for the Yellowstone Hot Spot!

Question 1:  Are any on the Web with open access?  You mentioned some
PDF files.  I am fascinated by the findings lying beneath Yellowstone Lake.

Question 2:  Robert Smith gave a lecture on the Yellowstone Plume this
last summer at the Salt Lake City Public Library.  He showed a recent
computer graphic of the plume underlying Yellowstone (made from seismic
studies).  I was awe struck by the plumes size!  He rotated it to give
the audience a perspective of what it looked like --- very irregular and
extending VERY deep, like an elongated potato, down into the earth.  I
would also LOVE to get my hands on this visual!  Is there anything on
the Web, that you know about, showing this visual?

I do remember that if you picture a baseball and place a postage stamp
on it, the baseball would roughly represent the size of the plume ...
the postage stamp would represent the present boundaries of Yellowstone.

Wayne Simister