[Geysers] Geyser stuff May 19

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Fri May 19 15:48:07 PDT 2006

"Geyser stuff" because there is relatively little to report about the
geysers themselves:
For Grotto-Giant, Grotto was in eruption when I first saw it from afar at
07:35. As I arrived in that area, I was greeted by a Rocket major at 07:50. It
was relatively short, lasting only about 4 1/2 minutes. And Grotto was off by
08:10. Based on that and the appearances of surrounding features, it had been
a  relatively short Grotto.

Although water seemed quite high in the GIP and there was frequent (though
weak) jetting in Bijou and Catfish, the Giant Group did not have a hot period
until... well, it was ending at 11:29 as I got into sight of the platform.
Judging by India being 100% wet and strong depth charging in Mastiff, I guess it
 to have been a pretty good hot period.

Oblong was an empty hole at 07:45. It had not erupted again as of  12:30.

Daisy had an interval of 3h 18m.

Grand had a T1Q at 09:59.

Fountain has not been reported in many days. I know that the winter
electronic download showed intervals longer than 11 hours. Based on what I've  seen
there, I'm thinking that that sort of interval is "the rule." Either that  or
we've all been incredibly unlucky with it. [Note that there is evidence that
these longer intervals began at or about the time when that mysterious,
controversial single eruption of Morning was reported...  :-) ]

Scott Bryan
-------

Now -- today the naturalists began operating in the new, temporary VC. Yes,
folks, the old buildings you know and love are now empty (including the
bathrooms, which are locked). And indeed, the view from the new place is
absolutely horrible. Standing at the VC desk it is all but impossible to see Old
Faithful (yet alone anything else). Going to the far east end of the room or of
the patio does give a view of Old Faithful. And of Lion. But that's about it.
>From nowhere can one see Plume or Beehive, or Aurum from this facility, and
_everything_ on down basin is totally invisible. Supposedly, permission has been
 given to cut down a couple of trees that _might_ give the desk some view of
Old  Faithful (but nothing more).

(The location strikes me as the result of irresponsible planning. The
naturalists are supposed to be interpreting the geyser basin -- aren't they? --  and
this facility is going to make that extremely difficult at best.) ("Where is
this Grand Geyser?" "Well, if you walk down that way about 100 yards, so you
get  beyond the trees that completely block our view, you'll be able to see
the  geyser basin...") (Oh, well, it's handy to the Lodge!)

What this means is that the naturalists are really going to need the help  of
gazers. Really -- they can't even see Plume! So please do call in your
sightings; do get your logbook notes into their logbook. Please.

Oh, yeah. And be patient with the radio. I learned today that they have
difficulty receiving transmissions from the vicinity of Giant, even from  Grand.

P.S. Wait till you see the new VC auditorium! About a dozen portable chairs
facing a widescreen TV. How cool. That oughta handle the summertime crowds
quite  well.

The Curmudgeon