[Geysers] Geyser report May 2

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Tue May 2 19:12:01 PDT 2006

Clearly too late for today's postings, due to an unexpected visit by a
stepdaughter. But nevertheless... today's 5-hour visit to the basins resulted in  a
few items, the more important of which are:

In the UGB, Beehive was called by somebody (I think) at 11:21. That was my
big geyser of the day (other than OF), since the Grand at 12:39 (T2C) happened
after an interval of only 6h 43m while I was at the Geyser Grill. Foo.

Plume was running around 80 minutes, + or - a few.

Oblong had an interval of 3h 59m. The first took place after a series of
very heavy overflow episodes that repeated on intervals of less than 10 minutes
(even 5 minutes a time or two).

And Giant. Well, Grotto started a marathon yesterday at 17:09 (per Steve
Eide). That ended this morning at about 08:40, a duration of around 15 1/2
hours. Had anybody mentioned before now (I think so, actually) that since the
opening on the April 21 EVERY Grotto has been a marathon?!? Anyhow, hardly more
than three hours after this one shut off, there was visible jetting in both
Giant and back (far left, southeast) vent of Mastiff and at one point (at
exactly 12:03) a bit of standing water in Feather Vent. And the water level in  GIP
had risen by at least 3 inches. Yep, there's been some sort of shift out
there. Back tomorrow.

At Biscuit Basin, the new spouter downstream from Black Opal is still
active, some bursts easily 3+ (maybe even 5) feet high. But also, about halfway
between it and Black Opal is a geyser -- not big (maybe 2 feet high with steamy
spray) with one checked interval of 18 minutes and a duration of around 2
minutes. When not active, even on this chilly (45 degrees or so) day there was
NO steam visible from its site.

In the LGB, I saw nothing at all. Not even NTFL or Kidney.