[Geysers] Haynes Giant

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed Mar 8 08:25:59 PST 2006

Here's a bit of fun with the F. Jay Haynes photo of Giant, which appeared  on
the cover of the February 2006 Sput. I own two lantern slide copies of that
same photo, identified as Haynes #13063. Until now, I did not have any kind of
 date [1887] for this photo, although that is not necessarily the year of the
 eruption. One of slides (my #13063-2), though clearly the same image, but
was  "cropped" in making the lantern slide. The result is that the slide shows
more  detail.

So anyway, as I said the other day, there's more to this picture than meets
the eye. Hope this works: here is an enlarged portion of the photo. Points of
special interest:
1. Note the rather large steam cloud rising from low on the left (to us,
back) side of the Giant mound/platform.
2. Note that the high point of the formation must be Bijou Geyser.
3. One must try to visualize the angle of this "looking upstream from the
other side of the river image", but is that largest steam cloud really from
Giant? Could it actually be Catfish, with Giant more or less behind it?
4. Note what absolutely has to be people (at least three of them) standing
on the formation!

Fun.