[Geysers] More on Morning/Fountain

Mike Keller KSCOPE_YNP at peoplepc.com
Tue Mar 7 19:10:35 PST 2006

After speaking with some folks at OF today I don't think anyone knows for
sure if it was Morning that erupted last week.  Fountain was seen by guides
on 3/5 at 1313ns and 3/6 at 0923.  I had hoped to get to the area last
Sunday but didn't.  The road is now being plowed south from Mammoth so I
won't be able to get to the area until the middle of next week.  I did ask
NPS Interpretive Ranger Sean Mikulka (my apologies if I misspelled the last
name) to check the area on Thursday when he is heading to West Yellowstone.

Typically when Morning has activated in the past, it stays active for a
while.  The only real exception to this was July 4th of 1991 when it erupted
twice in 24 hours with Fountain.  Historically, every other period of
activity has lasted at least a week and in most cases lasted several weeks
to months.  If Morning did erupt last week, it seems the energy is back with
Fountain for now.  If it was another large eruption from "Morning's Thief"
it should be evident when someone gets a better look.

MK