[Geysers] Giant of course

carolyn loren caroloren98 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 9 10:56:53 PST 2006

Giant was seen again this time, by guide Matt Bird, last night March 8
around 1840.  He was skiing the basin, saw a big steam cloud and skied over.
  He enjoyed his first Giant eruption (both view and sound) for quite a
while before needing to get back to the Snow Lodge.  So we don't have
information about the start.

Old Faithful interpretive staff was busy skiing out to Lone Star by
moonlight...

Reports are that the Giant platform signs weren't moved too much.

Dome is active today (March 9), Little Squirt was seen yesterday afternoon,
and Beehive erupted mid-afternoon yesterday (March 8) also after several
days without a daytime eruption.  Plate was seen again yesterday morning,
and Plume is having 60-65 minute intervals often.

We're getting snow and wind; Hayden Valley is closed right now because of
poor visibility.  Enough snow fell last night that my ski tracks between
home and work were completely erased.  Matt Johnson had a hard time telling
whether Grand or Turban was erupting this morning, and I walked out to Old
Faithful to time it, to be on the safe side for that all-important mid-day
prediction.  The season may be about over, but winter isn't.

Carolyn/OFVC