[Geysers] Ledge Geyser observed from a distance

Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov
Sun Jun 11 19:20:38 PDT 2006

Betsy Watry and I were hiking around the (fourth) Norris Hotel site on
Saturday when we heard a noise that we both thought was a jet plane on the
ground. It was Ledge Geyser in eruption. At first I was skeptical that it
was really Ledge, but as I looked more closely at the location I discerned
that it was indeed Ledge Geyser.

We watched it from the Hotel site (on Porcelain Terrace to the north) for
probably fifteen minutes. It was erupting VERY high and the loudness was
like nothing I ever heard...again, we both were reminded of a jet engine on
the ground.

Lee Whittlesey
Park Historian