[Geysers] Details: Wall Pool eruptions July 13, 2006 @ 21:08

Kendall Madsen kendall.madsen at onyxgfx.com
Fri Jul 14 12:04:48 PDT 2006

We had the good fortune of seeing Giant in erupt yesterday. It seemed
like the excitement was over for the day so for the evening my family
and I (all 6 of us) decided to take a stroll down at Biscuit Basin. We
got out of our van and walk over the road to take a look at Mercury
Geyser. As we turned around to return to Biscuit Basin, my oldest son,
Curtis, said, "Dad, look at that!" I looked up and Wall Pool was
erupting easily to 40-50 feet (it may have been much higher). It was
dark black water and mud surging with powerful bursts. Rocks and mud
could be seen flying everywhere.

I started to run, stopped, took a quick picture, and then started
running again to get closer. As we ran, Curtis and I were yelling in the
radio that something spectacular was going on at Biscuit Basin. At first
we were not sure what was erupting. By the time we crossed the bridge
the eruption was basically over. It did one smaller surge to a foot or
two and ended. Steaming mud and rocks were spread everywhere behind the
pool covering the ground.

Three people who were on the bridge at the time said that the ground had
thumped really hard. We hung out for a little while hoping to see more.
Some other gazers showed up, but by then things had really quieted down.
I have embedded in this e-mail thumbnails of the pictures I took of the
eruption and the debris left after the eruption.

Note: I took the time of the eruption from the digital image. I verified
that the clock in my camera has the corrected time. It showed the
eruption time to be 21:08. The eruption was very short lived, less than
a minute.

It was a thrilling experience.

Kendall