[Geysers] Wall Pool eruption

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Fri Jul 14 13:32:17 PDT 2006

Thanks  to Ralph Taylor for first posting info about the eruption of "Wall
Pool" on the  evening of July 13, 2006, and then to Kendall Madsen for the
further information  and photo showing the eruption.

I  placed the name in quotes because upon consideration, I believe this
feature  needs some sort of individual designation.

>From  Whittlesey's _Wonderland Nomenclature..._ is this:
"Prior  to the 1959 Yellowstone earthquake, geologist George Marler was not
sure whether  or not Wall Pool (named by Marler before 1959) had a water source
of its own or  whether it was merely a collecting basin for other springs.
Its name was given from the wall-like  escarpment which forms it southwestern
side."

Furthermore,  a close look at my copy of the USGS thermal map shows a curved
arrow pointing  away from the written name toward the northwestern-most part
of the spring  immediately adjacent to the "wall" that surrounds its west and
southwest  sides.

The  July 13 eruption took place from a separate feature that is closer to
Black Opal  Pool than it is to the map-indicated Wall Pool.

I  am not proposing a name here, but I think it needs one... as I think the
"new  thing near the river" also needs a name (some of its bursts today
probably  reached 6 feet high).

Scott  Bryan