[Geysers] Small Geysers Report (Secluded, Mercury, Outpost, etc.)

sgryc at comcast.net sgryc at comcast.net
Fri Jul 14 06:59:20 PDT 2006

Some small geysers attracted my attention during last week.  Scott Bryan mentioned seeing Basin Spring (Myriad Group) erupt, and I saw it in eruption also at 14:36 on July 8.  Jeff Cross mentioned Logbridge Geyser (White Creek), and I saw it i.e. at 11:58 on July 9.

Secluded Geyser (PMG 4) is active in Pipeline Meadows and appears to be following the same kind of pattern that it established in 2002-2004.  It tends to have closely spaced pairs of eruptions, the first of which is stronger than the second.  The eruptions are all of the minor variety (about three feet).  On July 8 I saw what I would call a strong eruption from a full pool from 15:47:00 to 15:48:11.  It was followed by a weaker eruption from a half-filled pool from 15:53:16 to 15:53:55.  There was an aborted eruption at 16:11:16 in which there were a couple of weak splashes followed by a drop in the pool.  There were a pair of weak eruptions at 16:36:16 to 16:37:08 and 16:41:21 to 16:42:00.  I’m guessing that was the end of an active cycle since I left the area at 17:46 without seeing another eruption.  The caps of all the geyserite mushrooms have been destroyed, so the inner crater wall is a less interesting feature than formerly.

Mercury Geyser is active across the road from the Biscuit Basin parking lot.  On July 10 I saw two four-foot eruptions at 8:29 and at 9:14 for a 45 minute interval.  Across the river Outpost and Sentry Geysers are very active.  In one hour of observation I saw 10 eruptions of Outpost and three eruptions of the smaller Sentry.  Two of Sentry’s three eruptions were duals with Outpost.  Outpost looked strong with bursts as high as 8 feet.  Sentry’s eruptions are small with bursts averaging about a foot and a half.  I also saw the Yellow Bubbler playing north of Outpost.  For those who might be interested, here are the times for Outpost and Sentry:

Outpost 12:24 i.e.
Outpost 12:29:38 – 12:32:25
Sentry 12:34:37 – 12:35:29
Outpost 12:32:02 – 12:38:11
Outpost 12:42:35 – 12:45:50
Sentry 12:48:58 – 12:52:45
Outpost 12:51:25 – 12:53:54
Outpost 12:58:17 – 13:00:58
Outpost 13:06:05 – 13:08:48
Outpost 13:14:25 – 13:16:18 (Sentry filled and drained)
Sentry 13:19:50 – 13:22:00
Outpost 13:20:51 – 13:22:45
Outpost 13:27:08 – 13:29:09