[Geysers] Addendum -- Geyser Report 7/7 Stephens

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 8 06:58:38 PDT 2006

I forgot to mention--although we have been trying to get the word out, it
seems not every one is listening--Fountain is erupting from a LOW pool.

When Fountain erupts at 7 to 8 hours, I can barely see water in Fountain's
crater.  Yesterday evening when Fountain had a 9 1/2 hour interval, I could
see water in the crater, but the water hadn't moved out into the neck.
Roughly an hour or so before Fountain erupted at 1905, a gazer walked
through, said they had planned to wait for Fountain but since it had
obviously erupted recently, they weren't going to wait.  Fountain had not
erupted since 0935, it's just that the water level is not recovering as
quickly as it has in recent years (maybe because the durations have
increased compared to recent years).  So, once again, we are repeating,
Fountain is erupting from a LOW pool.  Don't be surprised if you can't see
water in the crater and Fountain erupts within an hour after you have passed
by.

On another note--the 2006 electronic version of the OFVC logbook has been
updated through June 30 and should be available soon on the GOSA website.
(It doesn't take much time to enter the logbook into the electronic
spreadsheet now since the interpretive staff are swamped in the VEC, the
accoustics are such that there is a lot of noise, and they can't hear the
radios.  Since very few gazers are going to the VEC to turn in times the
logbook has very, very few entries in it.  When I went in this morning to
put in my times from Fountain complex observations yesterday, there were
fewer than 5 entries other than entries for predictable geysers of Castle,
Daisy, Grand, Great Fountain, Riverside, Beehive and Plume.

Lynn Stephens