[Geysers] Heart Lake 02 July

jacross jacross at lamar.colostate.edu
Sat Jul 8 13:16:51 PDT 2006

I visited Heart Lake Geyser Bason on 02 July.  Findings are as follows:

In the Fissure Group, Glade Geyser is active.  Based on filling rates, I
estimate that its intervals are around 12 hours.

Shell Geyser was unusually active.  Frequent surges filled the crater and sent
heavy water over the rim into Witch Creek.  A few surges crossed the stream
completely.  It has been many years since I saw this much activity from it.

Pit Geyser was also active, with intervals of 7 minutes and highly regular.
One eruption cleared the rim.

The small cone next to Shelf Spring may be active.  The splash basin was
washed and the cone was full, boiling, and overflowing lightly.

Splurger Geyser was erupting whenever seen.  The small geyser just above it
was also active and cycling.

Wisp Geyser looked completely dead, with no sign of any eruptions in the last
year.

In the Upper Group, Deluge Geyser continues the severly enfeebled activity I
noted last July.  A single cycle took 22 minutes to complete.  It overflows
only through the main channel.  The terrace in front of the pool is completely
dry, with vegetation starting to grow in one place.  The two vents in front of
Deluge were both geysers, with intervals of 4 and 5 minutes, respectively.
Neither one overflowed, and in the geyser furthest from Deluge no water could
be seen during the eruption.

Spike Geyser was also nearly dead.  There is still plenty of heat in the
complex, but only one vent overflowed (the one at the base of the spike) a
trickle of water.  Yellow Funnel, on the other side of the stream, was ebbed 3
feet.  The crater is severely weathered.

In the Rustic Group, Rustic was active with intervals of 29 and 38 minutes.
Composite's formation was clean, but the wash was not recent.  The
subterranean geyser downhill from Rustic was dormant.

In the Lower Group, Ivory Geyser was active, with majors occuring every 14
minutes.  The "Reciprocal Springs" next to it were active, the south spring
erupting to the grand height of 6 inches with substantial overflow.
Paperiello #19 may have been active.  Paperiello #7a has also reactivated,
with eruptions every minute to 6 inches.

Jeff Cross
jacross at lamar.colostate.edu